Wednesday 18 May 2016

Sugar Addiction – Is Sugar a Drug?

A scientific research has proved that sugar and junk food is as addictive as drugs. But it is very complicated to conclude how addictive some substance is. And either a person has become addictive by this substance or not.Sugar Addiction



Unfortunately, it gives a little extreme impression when we put a label of a drug on some food. But by reading the metabolism process of our body after eating sugar, you will get to know how harmful it is. And why it is labeled as a drug.



Like other drugs (cocaine, alcohol and tobacco), sugar can also lead to increased cravings and addictions when taken in excessive amounts. The addiction process of Sugar is entirely similar to the addiction process in cocaine or heroin.  We are responsible for making ourselves and our children addictive to sugar. Here are some symptoms that will help you find out if you are addictive to sugar or not and how to treat sugar addiction.


Basic symptoms of Sugar Addiction

·         You desire to eat certain foods even if you are not hungry because of cravings.
·         Mood changes due to insufficient amount of dopamine released in our mind due to the withdrawal of sugar.

·         Because of sugar withdrawal you are facing certain health problems like low energy, feeling tired, high blood pressure, faster heartbeat

·         You need more and more of the foods you want to get the pleasure from eating it.
·         You have tried to stop eating sugar, and you can’t.



Tips for the treatment of Sugar Addiction

Like other drug addiction, sugar addiction should also be treated properly. If Sugar Addiction not controlled, it can also lead to serious issues such as obesity, heart disease or cancer.

·         Avoid processed food and avoid eating sugar
·         Boost serotonin (happiness hormone)
·         Drink plenty of water and do not keep your body dehydrated
·         Keep your blood sugar maintained
·         Eat Fat, Fiber and Protein


·         Chew you food well – you will feel natural sweetness of fruits, vegetables and brown rice. And it will satisfy your desire of sugar intake.


1 comment:

  1. Great post! I wish a lot more people spoke about sugar addiction.

    All my life I have struggled with an addiction to sugar. The more sweet things I ate, the more I wanted. I couldn't eat just one piece of something without wanting more.

    Since learning about nutrition and glycemic index, my relationship with food has changed dramatically. I have learned that there are healthy alternatives to sugar, and I can still have delicious desserts and not feel deprived!

    When out to dinner with friends and colleagues and they order dessert, I an no longer bothered seeing the dessert, because I know I can go home and have something just as delicious that won't spike my blood sugar and is even good for me!

    I'm talking about having Guilt Free Desserts.

    I bought the recipe book for $34.95 USD, which does seem a little overpriced at first... but it is totally worth it when you take a look at the amount of content that is in the Book. Probably the best $34.95 I have spent in a long while!

    The recipes are so easy to do... And you don't have to feel guilty!

    Here's where I bought my copy.

    This might be what changes you & your readers relationship to sugar FOREVER.

    It did for me...

    Best regards,

    John

    ReplyDelete